Basic Building



I have surprised myself (quite pleasantly) that I haven't bought much of anything at all this summer, but I have an inkling that when summer school ends in early August, I will no doubt indulge myself then. Instead of marching full force ahead with little forethought and planning, I thought I should at least set myself some goals to rein in careless and mindless spending. Truth to be told, I was afraid of doing this as Ives have put it so well here, that the stress from curating/planning the wardrobe can be paralyzing and stifling, zapping all the fun out of the very thing that is supposed to bring you joy. While I commend those who are abiding by the 4-5 Piece French Wardrobe rules, I don't think that's really the thing for me, mostly because you need to already have great basics to build on and then 4-5 statement pieces per season on top of it. Quite frankly, I don't think I even need that many so-called statement pieces, unless you count Barbour jackets, Filson briefcases, L.L. Bean duck boots and Bass Weejun penny loafers into the mix but even then, they are not flashy as the word statement suggests so I am more inclined to think that they are basics more than anything.

Though I have purchased little, already I am seeing the benefits of having good basics (i.e. the navy jersey skirt) as it makes everyday dressing for summer classes a breeze. I will like to continue basics searching and building for the next year, yet I worry if I can continue with the project because I do need the funds to buy some much-desired magazines and Alain de Botton books as well as art supplies (when did stretched canvas became so expensive?). I am already trying to cut down the costs of books by reading them online via Bartleby or downloading them through Project Gutenberg. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens! Anyone else going basics shopping?

13 comments:

Michelle Loreto said...

Great basic outfit. I really, really, REALLY need to curb my spending - I checked my bank account the other and all that sale stuff I bought, I'm beginning to regret buying.

x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

Phara said...

Amazing that you could resist the sales Joy! I just went shopping for basics last Monday, I needed some plain tshirts and tops. I was reorganising my wardrobe and noticed I didn't own that many. H&M made my day and I also bought a lovely pair of skinny jeans (in a caramel colour) from Urban Outfitters.
Hope you'll find what you're looking for ^^^
X

Human Racing said...

I've been focused on building a basic wardrobe most of the summer like you, but I've gone for a sort of modified 4-5 piece method. Mostly because I still want to cut down the amount of time and money I spend shopping, but also because I need to keep in mind all my school expenses. The shirt you're wearing is a great basic in itself along with the skirt, so it looks like you're off to a good start!

Sheena said...

Loving your striped top and skirt combo!

I have to cut down on my expenses due to school and so I've been contemplating what to add for Fall/Winter.

I need to start reading books online to cut down that cost, too!

Quindome said...

It is much tougher than it sounds. I've been working on it for around a year. I like less shopping, but find that I wear my 'basics' the same way a lot. Need to figure out how to mix more. Loving the knit skirt!

teresa said...

I've been hoping to get a white/navy striped tee as one of my basics but I just haven't found the perfect one!

Lindsay K said...

I love the skirt and top you are wearing- it's the perfect basic outfit. I like that basics make getting dressed easy, but I think it's important to have an eye out for pieces that feel special too. The Barbour, Filson briefcase and L.L. Bean boots could all be considered timeless basics.

PS- Art supplies are so expensive. My best friend went to RISD and was always griping about how expensive supplies are.

cuteredbow said...

Really nice outfit ! Great to discover your beautiful blog Inspiring !

http://cuteredbow.blogspot.com

The Pink Monocle said...

At the beginning of every season I've taken to writing a list of things I want/need, though I'm careful to stick to classic items that have the potential of being worn for more than one season (enter my Ralph Lauren obsession..). I find that this generally curbs my spending habit as every time I find myself trying on something completely impractical, I unconsciously force myself to think what I can pair it with and on what occasions I'd wear it. I'm quite proud that for the past year I've actually stuck to buying only essentials (with a preppy twist of course) and combining them with statement pieces I already owned. To be completely honest though, I feel that the way a person carries themselves can make even the simplest outfit speak volumes and vice versa (meaning those girls you see wearing top to bottom flashy designer pieces, who still manage to look perfectly bland). Shoes though are a completely different problem ;)

Sarah said...

I'm really trying todo the same- only buy key basic pieces that i know i will love and want to wear for a long time. It's actually really difficult!

Whenever i see something i like in a store i think'Can you see yourself still wearing this in 8 months time' and 'How many pieces in your wardrobe will this go with?' It really helps curb my spending and impulse buying :-)

Great blog dear xxx

Jada said...

Art supplies are out of this world expensive! Look out for coupons! :/

I am loving this Mayer Hawthorne, never heard of him before and I am now obsessed :)

hannah-rose said...

Your hair is a perfect length... I think I might give mine a chop!! Love your striped top. It's very french, even if you're not subscribing to the 4-5 wardrobe. To be honest, it's hard to stick to that and really most things can be counted as essentials. If you're only purchasing 4-5 statement pieces each season and everything else you buy can be written off as "basics' then it's not tricky at all hahaha.

X

galatea. said...

soo glad i found your blog. you are too good x