The Art of Aging Gracefully (I)


This is perhaps not the best title for a post ever, given the context of the film. I watched Amour (2012) over a small glass of Rosé back in March with a French buddy C. Everybody did a marvelous job, from  Michael Haneke to Emmanuelle Riva, who I thought really should have won the Oscar (instead of Jennifer Lawrence with her good but terribly overrated performance in Silver Linings Playbook (2012)). That’s one of the main reasons I hate the Oscars: it’s all politics and not really about awarding who is truly good in the industry that year.

While they may not have aged particularly gracefully in this film (not really a spoiler), they at least look the part. I liked how the film chose an honest depiction of a couple growing old together, which is at times frustrating, infuriating and painful—a good reality check for those (ahem me) who constantly romanticize about getting older. I can’t be the only odd one who does this: you can get away with ignoring stupid societal norms, first priority seating on public transportation and everything else for that matter, with all the time and the means to pursue your hobbies. What’s not to like?

That aside, I am now convinced that the key to looking understated chic when you are 65+ is a dark minimalist wardrobe. I love how the ladies over at Advanced Style look, but I personally aspire to the way Georges and Anne look here. The fuss free, über-utilitarian feel of their clothes strongly appeals to my sensibilities. Anne is proof that you can wear a hair band and not look like a silly school girl and/or remotely Blair Waldorf-y. Might I add they also have the dream bourgeois apartment.

I hope the screen caps are okay, considering it’s the first time I’ve made them myself. This is part I of II, on style, age and consumer perspective.

No comments: