Things of Note, May & June


It’s been a long long time since I’ve done this sort of post. I shouldn’t be surprised that June has already rolled around here but I am. Fashion has been quite low on the scale of importance/need of wants so I guess I would just be sharing some things on my mind at the moment that are not necessarily related to the wardrobe per se:
  • Sicilian Dreams by Tom Craig for Vogue Russia. The best summer holiday themed editorial I have seen this season thus far. I have to admit I have a strong Arizona Muse bias. See the rest of it here
  • Lomzynianka. I didn’t even know I had a taste for Polish food until I came to this place in Brooklyn Greenpoint. It’s BYOB, so I brought one of my favourites, Weihanstephaner Hefeweissbier. Most recommended. Website here.
  • Black tie formal wedding this Fall. I just received the invite for my cousin’s big splashy society wedding come September—ughhh. I am happy for her to be sure, however it does add considerably to my budgeting woes. The most fancy garments that I currently own are cocktail dresses at best (yeah I was that girl who skipped prom in high school) and I’ve been sternly told by my aunt (my cousin’s mother) that as part of la familia that won’t cut it. GREAT, JUST FANTASTIC. I should just count my blessings that I was not made a bridesmaid. *dodged that bullet*
  • Still on the fence about the navy blazer. Yeah I’m still drooling over it in my sleep and I understand it’s probably truly worth it; however there is a part of me that wishes it would be so hot in D.C. (and it probably will be) that a navy blazer would not, understandably, be required. I’ve decided the best course of action would be to follow Kali’s advice that I should just wait and see what my senior colleagues wear. Should I feel too underdressed, I will get it.
  • Housing woes. Just when I thought everything was set in D.C., I received a surprise email saying that I could no longer sublet from this alum due to a change in management rules. I suppose nothing can ever work out too perfectly for me, eh?
  • Falling out of love with fashion, but still in love with style. I’ve been thinking about my recent waves of ennui regarding fashion since I last wrote about it and comparing it to Amanda’s latest post. I’ve come to realize that I falling out of fashion again (ceasing all contact with bull$hit fashion news etc.), which has happened to me before during the tail end of my high school years. That being said, I can always appreciate good style, which is often easily confused with fashUN but in reality are two very different things. If you were wondering whether I would still talk about fashion style, then this is the latest update on it.
  • American Vogue on Youtube. Having said all of that on fashion just before, it’s a bit of contradiction to say that I’ve been enjoying most of the content uploaded the Youtube channel of Vogue US. If they put Hamish’s new show (called “Vintage Bowles”, I kid you not) then I will watch it. It’s still a few steps behind the kind of videos that Mr Porter puts out regularly, but it is by far superior to the content offered by Net-à-Porter. 
  • New haircut desperately needed. I hate this mop that’s sitting on the top of my head that passes for a hairstyle. It’s long overgrown but per Chinese custom regarding the recently deceased, I can’t. Cut. My. Hair. For a month. It’s hot in Montréal these few days, so it’s been hell. I suppose I should learn how to braid my own finally and attempt those heidi milkmaid-ishy hair braids. Yodeling and the Sound of Music comes to mind...is that the name for it???

No comments: