It's All About Pride and Prejudice

I agree with many Austen purists out there that the best adaption of Pride and Prejudice would be the 1995 BBC series staring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. Oh Colin Firth...how that man looks even better now a decade later is beyond me. I digress. I have to say, though the 2005 film version strayed from the always safe path of sticking to the books, it did an excellent job of translating the book onto the big screen in its own fashion. Keira Knightley was of course, as gorgeous as ever as the witty Lizzy and had great chemistry with her co-star, Matthew McFayden, who was still a great Darcy though no Colin Firth if you know what I mean. The Bennets were a wonderful and warm lot, but did you know Carey Mulligan was "Kitty" back then? I'm slapping myself for not noticing her before An Education. Then again, she didn't have much of a role in the film. I mean Lydia has her big moment with Wickham and Mary gets the chance to bang on the piano at the ball, but her? Nothing much. Moving on, Tom Hollander was most wonderful as the hilariously awkward Mr. William Collins, minister and cousin of the Bennets.  But the best thing of all? The jaw-droppingly beautiful locations featured on the film, as well as the the neutral palette and exquisite simplicity of the dresses worn.



I must have watched this film on the DVD more than dozen times now but It never gets old. Remember that awesome, "I've found it" giddy feeling I mentioned in the last post on Midnight in Paris? Well I feel it every single time I watch this film without fail. I am still trying to figure what exactly makes watching this film such an incredible experience. Is it the great acting? The lush cinematography? The inspiring soundtrack? The arresting sets? The elegant costumes? The timeless romance storyline? The spot-on directing? I think it encompasses a bit of everything, which is why this film will continue to last into the future, never to be forgotten, to be watched again and again with great enthusiasm. I suppose I should stop gushing now and move to things other than praise. But I don't have to describe plot do I? I think this the best love story written ever (better than Romeo and Juliet in my opinion, and Butterfly Lovers coming to a close second). I have to admit I didn't like Austen so much in the very beginning, partly because I've started on the wrong foot by choosing to read Emma for summer reading when I was twelve. However, Pride and Prejudice was really something I could bite into. I see a bit of my quickness to judge, my obstinacy and a penchant for reading. Sadly sans a Darcy of my own of course.



I forgot which blog I read it from, but I too notice this Sofia Coppola-esque return to dreamy romanticism in terms of both shape and colours. Maybe it's summer and we all like to wear lighter colours for the hotter weather, but even the king of all things dark and edgy, aka Riccardo Tisci of Givenchy, included in his fall 2010 couture collection many dresses in luminescent pale gold and white in soft, sheer chiffon/tulle-like fabrics. This theme is echoed equally in Pride & Prejudice in their use of similarly lightweight though less luxe fabrics like cotton or linen. This new romantic turn of things seems to be not just a trend. It certainly is not like the fun but gaudy and over-the-top grand ballgowns of Marie-Antoinette of the film circa 2006, but more of the simple silhouettes and muted shades of this film. This new minimalism of both colour and shape must have been inherited from Céline but perhaps, instead of the stiff, super-tailored, structured looks, the lines and the cut of clothes have been softened up quite a bit. The take home message here however isn't about this romantic revival in trends but rather that there is much beauty in the unembellished and the unadorned. It means shying away from the harsh metal studs, acid washed denim and ripped garments from Balmain. It means paring things down, and don something natural and organic, not fabric-wise, but rather the overall general quality of the garment needs to feel comfortable and not jarring in the least. Then everything you wear will last, and be as classic and timeless as this unforgettable love story.

And one last note, please get the soundtrack for this film. Dario Marianelli really works his magic here and the glorious music is perfect for a day spent on a shaded bench reading (the same goes for the soundtrack of Atonement, another Joe Wright production). Have a wonderful weekend.


23 comments:

Phara said...

I would love to wear dresses like those all the time. I had to read about Carey playing Kitty too, didn't notice it...
X

Kate said...

Though I'm a sucker for Colin Firth as Darcy, I loved the 2005 adaptation, because I felt it really captured the impetuous spirit of the novel. Plus, Judi Dench was a total powerhouse as Lady de Bourg.

I always love your reviews!
x

Irina Lori said...

Really nice pictures! :)

daniela kate morosini said...

makes me proud to be british haha. i did prefer the jennifer ehle/colin firth version, though :) xx

Anonymous said...

OMG the first pic is wonderful *-*

alexandra grecco said...

I loved everything about this movie!
xo
Alexandra

Michelle Loreto said...

Oh, gosh, gosh, gosh. I really do have to rewatch that film, it's so stunningly beautiful from what I can remember. I should probably get on to reading the book, too! It's the next book on my "To Read" list, so when I'm done with Angels & Demons, I'll be picking it up for sure.

x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

Isabella | THE PILE OF STYLE said...

I love your style, this is so pretty!
Follow each other?
http://thepileofstyle.blogspot.com/

Rebeccak said...

I haven't seen this yet - I loved the mini series so much I don't want to be let down!

Kel said...

I too am a P&P purist and by golly no man can make me swoon like Colin Firth and that gaze towards Elizabeth at the pianoforte.

Sigh.

We're disturbingly alike.

Kel

www.amuseabout.com

danica said...

colin firth will always be my mr. darcy, but i did enjoy this version when i saw it at the cinema.

Lindsey said...

I just didn't find this version as enjoyable as the 1995 version, but this entry is really lovely and makes me want to give it another chance.

mavric said...

The 2005 version is my favorite adaptation, but Colin Firth is still a pretty dreamy Mr. Darcy. This is one of my most favorite films and I of course have the soundtrack too! Great post and photos :)

Danielle said...

pride and prejudice is my favorite! i've never seen the 1995 version - i'll have to check it out! these are lovely photos, and the soundtrack is just dreamy. have a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

keira knightley is so pretty!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Juli Photo Diary said...

amazing blog :)

I´m following you now!
visit my blog and follow me back!

XX
Juli
www.juliphotodiary.com

Acid Wallpaper said...

About time someone did a post on the style in Pride and Prejudice. I stay well clear of this look myself but admire people who embrace it to the nth degree.

www.acidwallpaper.blogspot.com

Danae Moran said...

Loved this post! I'm currently reading the book for the first time and am captured by it - my husband and I love the 2005 version, possibly him even more than I! Thanks for sharing your insights into the film - they're wonderful.

The Decemberist said...

Ah! I must watch this film! The stills look absolutely lovely and interesting. I hope Netflix is back up! :)

   ♥ Teresa ♥
- Pretty Dandy -

Audrey Leighton said...

Thank you so much for this post! I almost forgot how beautiful this movie is and looks.

Beautiful actors. Beautiful story. Beautiful outfits.

xx

hannah-rose said...

I haven't been on your blog in ages because I've been away.. and then before that because im a bad blogger.. but oh my god I love your new layout (you're going to shake you head and go.. "new" i got this 3 months ago... i am very silly aren't i??).. wow wow wow.. it all looks so good. I just got lost trawling through your recent archives. your writing is just so fluid and easy to read, I've definitely enjoyed losing myself in it.

re pride and prejudice - i think you're onto something here. it's organic vs hard... soft vs tough... I loved this film even though im an ehle/firth fan at heart, because it was just so beautiful. I think joe wright is a great director. If you look at Atonement and even the soloist you can see how light his touch and how developed his eye is. everything in this film was just stunning to look at, and paired with the music, it was a real experience.

hope you are very well lovely!!

X

Kristin E Bazan said...

i have seen this version of p&p so many times, and it's never enough. you're totally right, it's a film that is going to transcend time. i have yet to see the '95 version though. i need to check if netflix is streaming it right now. great review and fabulous insight into the film, costume and soundtrack. :D

Kate - Art Hound said...

i'd forgotten what a great movie this is until i came across your post. kiera is really perfect for this role and the dresses and locations are wonderful. if you like these costumes you'd love the dresses in Bright Star (if you haven't already seen it.)