Lennon Before the Beatles


 All film stills are found off Google Images.
I have learnt now not to write so much in "fashion inspiration from film" posts. More pictures and less words - now I know. Of course I think it would be nice to do so for more sentimental posts (see the one down below) but this post is just for pure aesthetics with less profound meaning or significance behind it. I am not the biggest Beatles fan *gasp* but I have to say I did like "Dear Prudence" and "Norwegian Wood" even if my knowledge of their music is extremely limited.
My only slight irritation of the movie was Thomas Sangster who played Paul McCartney whose baby face is conspicuously (sorry for lack of a better word choice) still there that it looks off when he is supposedly a growing teenager. Like Aaron Johnson, the one who plays John Lennon, looks 10+ years older. Maybe it's just me but it seems for the baby-faced actor, someone just cropped the head of an eight year old boy to a body of a lanky twenty year old.



See look at what I mean? Anyhow, luckily Thomas doesn't appear too often so it didn't bother me as much as it could. I love Aaron Johnson though! Though I can't help but feel it's rather strange that he is in a relationship/getting married (?) to the director of this movie who is 23 years his senior. Oh now in this age and time, who am I to judge. I'm just slightly perturbed by it. Another talented one goes off the market. Heh. Read the film summary here if you'd like.



I personally prefer the harsher style of the aunt to the mother's. I don't quite know why.

Nowhere Boy Aunt




The mother, while very sweet and rather lovely, can veer on garishness at times too often for my taste - hence my preference for the aunt's more austere style.

Nowhere Boy Mum

I suppose it's ok to do so, once in a blue moon. She's such a sweetheart and very believable as the gruffy Lennon's mother, god bless her. My take on things, for the slightly more tomboy and traditional self:

Nowhere Boy I

Anyhow no matter what, you can't forgot the glasses. I like both pairs featured in the film but the more trendy black frames definitely look a lot better on him. I really recommend this film - just don't try to compare it too much with better organized films such as The King's Speech or True Grit. Have a great Sunday and hope everybody starts off the week on the right foot!

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

Okay these pictures are amazing. I love the retro feel they have to all of them!

steph. said...

thank you for your comment, i hope you managed to have a little listen!

i loved this film, but forgot about how stylish it was! thanks for reminding me :)

Krissy (Shimmer Like Gold) said...

How did I not know this movie existed? It looks like it's right up my alley!

Little Dwell said...

I agree with you on the character for Paul McCarthy. I couldn't get over the baby face. The cinematography was beautiful, but I was left with a bit of disappointment from the movie.

Trou, .ma petite cherie said...

I haven't seen the film but I love your pretend outfits!

Joy said...

@she+him this is very true which is why I've added a word of caution hah. The only reason I watched it because my school screened it for free. :P

Une armoire Pour Deux said...

Very interesting article ! The pics looks good but I didn't really like this movie...
LOve your clothes selection <3
Take care x

daniela kate morosini said...

brilliant style inspiration post! i really want to see nowhere boy, now...xx

Katherine said...

What a thoughtful post...loved all your Polyvore boards and I love the actress who plays the aunt...forgot her name but it's on the tip of my tongue..

Phara said...

I LOVE this post. Just saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and found it a really good one. Aaron Johnson plays the role of John very lovely. I prefer the mother's style though, flowers and gorgeous dresses all the way :)
Thanks for yr sweet comments on my blog, really appreciate it!
X

FASHION FACTORY said...

you have a great blog, really like this post :)

I am your new reader, please visit my blog and be my follower if you like it :)
http://last-poetry.blogspot.com/

asha said...

I love taking inspiration from movies :) I agree, the aunt's style is classic.

Fleurette said...

I'm loving this post and WHY haven't I heard of this movie before? I watched Love Story yesterday and the entire movie was style inspiration from start to end.

Reslosound said...

Nice collection of pics from Nowhere Boy, you may want to have a look at the microphones used in this film and by The Beatles here: http://reslosound.blogspot.com/